World Environment Day is celebrated every June 5th as way to encourage people to think about environmental issues and how we can each make a difference in our day to day lives. Climate change, deforestation, pollution and other major threats affect us worldwide, so use today to learn about these issues and make a change.
Here are some ideas on things to do for World Environment Day:
- Join a beach clean up
- Start recycling or encourage/help someone else to recycle
- Think about buying from or donating to a thrift shop
- Revise your wardrobe and try to avoid fast fashion
- Share information on social media using #WorldEnvironmentDay
- Plant a tree or care for a garden
- Join local events
- Start a challenge with friends
Over the years I have become somewhat of a minimalist and really think about my purchases, especially after seeing the shocking images of clothes piled up in the Chile’s Atacama Desert. You will see that I buy a t-shirt here and there but I tend to keep hold of them for years, because it’s something that I really like and take care of, whereas past me was buying stuff constantly.
I like to donate to the local charity shop when possible and recycle daily without thinking. In the future I’d like to join in with local beach clean ups which happen all year round.
How will you celebrate this World Environment Day?
Thanks for reading,