I’m so ready for Spooky Season, what about you? Goodbye Summer, hello September and adiós August! While I did enjoy some time at the beach and by the pool, I crave gaming under cozy blankets with hot drinks, snacks and cooler weather. Time for a little roundup post of August, what I’ve been up to in issue 44 of Geek Life Lately. I can’t believe I’ve written 44 of these posts now!
At the beginning of the month my husband and I took a mini break and it was exactly what we needed. It was at a 5 star hotel (Hotel RIU Palace Meloneras) which was so luxurious and somewhere we’ve been dreaming of staying for a long time.
It was an amazing treat and although we were only there for the weekend it felt like we had a good explore of the hotel and enjoyed everything about it. Sitting by the pool was lovely as was the fancy snack bar and the staff were so nice and friendly. It’s definitely given me a goal to save up for more of these types of experiences rather than things, to enjoy and switch off.
- Untitled Goose Game (PS5) This is a game I’ve wanted to play for SO long. There was a lot of hype about it so I was expecting to love it but sadly it wasn’t for me. The art style and music are lovely but the back and forth trying to get the picnic items onto a blanket were frustrating. Even looking up a YouTube guide I found it difficult and annoying.
- Fall Guys (PS5) I’ve been playing this very casually and not as into it as before creator mode came along. I guess I just got bored with it.
- Everdream Valley (PS5) Still having a lot of fun with this game. Unlocked a few trophies and acquired a cat and a new rooster last time I played. It’s great for chilling and forgetting about the world. (*received a review code from Untold Tales for this)
- Agatha Christie Hercule Poirot: The London Case (PS5) My husband got me this game as we are both huge fans of Poirot and I really like puzzle games. So far I only played a few hours but I am hooked! Young Hercule is looking handsome! Will let you know what I think once I play some more, 10/10 so far!
I hit 1,000 days on Duolingo! This is quite an achievement and something I want to build on. My advice for keeping up a language learning streak is being consistent. Somedays I will only do a few minutes but I always do my lesson.
Social media has been stealing about 2-4 hours a day from me so going forward I would like to enrol on another online course that I’ve been saying I’ll do forever and use that time I’ve regained. I’ll keep you posted on that! September feels like a good time to start learning something new.
- Will Trent Special Agent (Disney+) This was a nice little find. I was browsing Disney+ and saw the promoted shows on the top of the screen and there’s this detective looking guy with a Chihuahua like Cooper. Of course I had to click on it. My husband and I ended up binge watching it and really enjoyed it especially the parts with Will Trent and his dog.
- The Kardashians (Disney+) for the days when I just want something easy to watch I’ll stick the Kardashians on. There’s plenty of drama.
- Spirited Away (Netflix) Continuing with my Studio Ghibli journey, I thought this was a beautiful film. The music and story got me and my new fave No Face is the best.
- Howl’s Moving Castle (Netflix) this film got me right in the feels! Full of morals and life lessons, the music omg and it was hard not to fall in love with the characters. I need to watch it again.
- The Resort (Movistar+) The was a nice surprise and although I hope there’s a season 2, I’d be happy leaving it there. A couple go on honeymoon to Mexico and end up discovering a huge mystery involving hotel guests from years before.
- From (HBO) Another solid favourite and one that left me with so many questions. A weird town that nobody can leave from the creators of LOST. Kind of like LOST meets Under the Dome. I binged season 1 and 2 within days.
- Survival of The Thickest (Netflix) I binge watched this within two days while I had kidney stones. Very easy and show to watch which will have you rooting for all of the characters especially the charismatic Mavis Beaumont on the journey to building her fashion business.
- M3GAN (Movistar+) I was super happy to see this come to tv. It’s like Chucky meets Vicki the Robot from Small Wonder from the 80s.
- Ticket to Paradise (Movistar+) Julia Roberts and George Clooney go to Bali in this cheesy romcom. It was just something easy to watch. It basically the same girl meets boy story we’ve seen a thousand times. They fall in love and want to marry but the parents don’t want them to marry even if they are super happy in love kind of film.
- La Bamba (Movistar+) I found this film randomly. It’s about Latin American rock and roll star Ritchie Valens. This has pure Grease vibes so if you are into that era of music you will enjoy this. Sadly it does not have a happy ending, which I had no idea about and is a big piece of music history.
- At Home With The Furys (Netflix) This is not something I would normally watch and prior to watching I had absolutely no idea who Tyson Fury was. (He is a professional boxer from England). It was very interesting to see a behind the scenes of life with wife Paris Fury and 6 kids while dealing with several mental health issues.
- Pet Sematary by Stephen King – 4%
- Make Time: How to Focus on What Matters Every Day by Jake Knapp and John Zeratsky – 10%
Quotes I enjoyed this month:
“Focus is the art of knowing what to ignore.”– James Clear
“At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can.”– Frida Kahlo
“Today is the most important day of our lives.”– Thich Nhat Hanh
- Studio Ghibli Lofi
- Taylor Swift (First time listening intentionally, slowly becoming a Swiftie 😅)
A round up of blog posts and YouTube videos I created this month.
Blog Posts from this month
- The Benefits of Braces for Your Teeth | Collab post
- Aliens are Real! | Geek Life Lately issue 43
- Daily Blogging
- I Quit Social Media
- Fall Self-Care Routine | Collab Post
- How I Celebrate Christmas
- Instagram is Dead To Me
- Sweaty Social Media Manager | Geek Blog 239
- August Slipped Away | Geek Blog 240
- Gratitude Journaling | Grateful Bytes 07
- Cooper’s Gotcha Day | Geek Blog 241
- When Life Gives You Lemons | Geek Blog 242
- Frankenstein Day | Geek Blog 243
- Adios August | Geek Blog 244
Videos from this month
- Stephen King book haul | YouTube Short
- My Heels Are On The Ground Barbie Sliders Unboxing | YouTube Short
- Make a Squidward Painting with me | YouTube Short
- If Your Shoes Make This Noise You Can’t Afford Them (Barbie Sliders) | YouTube Short
What did you get up to in August? Would love to hear from you in the comments!
Thanks for reading,